Email, Calendaring, NHSMail2 and Exchange Integration

Continuing the discussion from Welcome to NHSbuntu!:

@robdykedotcom @adrian.wilkins @tony - Let’s move the discussion on email/calendar/exchange options to a separate thread here.

M

Just my 2p. I do agree Thurderbird is a better email client (than Evolution and Outlook for that matter) and what I use, but to get it to work with NHSMail2 you have to purchase a license for ExQuilla which isn’t free or open source which doesn’t quiet align with the project.

I do wonder if Evolution is good enough for non power users?

Tony

1 Like

ExQuilla isn’t the only option for Thunderbird ; I see it uses EWS, I used to use Ericsson’s (OSS) EWS plugin for Thunderbird / Lightning :

2 Likes

Thanks @adrian.wilkins

If you’ve the time to test and package up thunderbird / lightening and the exchange plugin it could be included in the default installation.

Interesting, not seen this one, I will give it a try. Thanks Adrian.

Firefox 53 will not allow the installation of an unsigned add-on which the ericcson EWScalendar gets flagged as! You can tweak the about.config, but you break the warranty!!! Still think we will struggle to get Thunderbird working with NHSMail2 without a signed add-on like ExQuilla, unless we build our own!

IT Operations Manager
NHS South Devon and Torbay CCG

AFAIK, Thunderbird have no current plans to enable extension signing : source Mozilla wiki ; the Ericsson calendar plugin doesn’t do anything for Firefox, although the default action if you click on the download link is to try and install it.

Dragging the XPI download link into the open “Extensions” panel in Thunderbird seems to be the most convenient way to install it.

1 Like

Have TB 52.2.1 running with Davmail 4.8.0 and connecting to NHS Mail using https://mail.nhs.net/EWS/Exchange.asmx as the URL.
Happy to send some screen shots if needed.
What do we need to do for this to be part of the NHSBuntu distribution ?
The challenges are :
Default profile for TB that just needs the username and password
Start Davmail at boot time using the settings above

… and Davmail + TBird works like a charm with Exchange calendar too :slight_smile:

Joseph

Hello
I came across this forum trying to set up thunderbird/davmail on Windows.

Putting my updates here in case it helps - sorry to be resurrecting an old thread / old subgroup!!

I am using (for Windows 10):
Portable Thunderbird
Portable DAVmail (windows Standalone) - DavMail POP/IMAP/SMTP/Caldav to Exchange - Browse /davmail/6.0.1 at SourceForge.net

Davmail settings:
MAIN
Exchange Protocol - Auto
OWA EWS URL: https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
Local POP : 1110
Local IMAP: 1993
Local SMTP: 1025
Caldav HTTP : 1080
Local LDAP : 1389

ENCRYPTION
Oauth authentication
Client ID: d3590ed6-52b3-4102-aeff-aad2292ab01c
RedirectUri: urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob
(this is the application ID for Microsoft Office)

THUNDERBIRD:
configure account manually
email address and account password

INCOMING
protocol IMAP
hostname: localhost
port 1993
connection security: none
authentication: normal password
username: email address

OUTGOING
hostname: localhost
port 1025
connection security: none
authentication: normal password
username - email address

I have an Office 356 E3 License

Can send and receive emails. Can’t view calendar or contacts or tasks. Server side rules not editable with this app either (EM client allows for this - but doesn’t have a portable version so I can’t test).

Another update - Yesterday this setup didn’t work for me - so this morning I’ve changed the exchange protocol to 0365 interactive

I then got a browser window for 2FA (another tip - you can use browser addons to generate these)

Once i verified this way DAVmail and Thunderbird worked properly!

Good luck