Digital Health REWIRED - 2-day hack event (being held alongside the Digital Health REWIRED event)

Digital Health Rewired HACK DAYS

DH_Rewired_Identity_White_RGB_v4

Hi OHHers - I’m running a 2-day hack next year, alongside the Digital Health Rewired event. If it’s anything like the Digital Health Summer School hackathon we ran earlier in 2018 it’ll be a great 2 days of collaboration, learning, and building tech.

Part of the event will be a ‘traditional’ hackathon event, starting with idea pitches and then hacking on ideas, building ‘proof of concept’ prototypes, and experimenting with new technologies and concepts.

Around this I will have a number of demonstration slots going on, something like a workshop or tutorial on particular healthcare technologies - with small groups (4-6) and hands-on learning (ie writing code on your laptop, not powerpoint and theory) - I’ve decided to call them ‘Hackshops’ - where you can learn a new skill such as integrating with a FHIR server, or building an NHS user interface…

Here’s a list of some of the hackshop contributions we’re expecting at the 2019 hackathon.

• NHS.UK’s Frontend team - demoing their new front end framework for making accessible, well-tested NHS websites

• the openEHR Foundation - with a simple tutorial on how to interact with an openEHR repository like EtherCIS, through its REST API

• NHS Digital’s GP Connect team - demoing their API for obtaining patient GP records from consumer systems

• The Ripple Foundation - with their JavaScript-based Ripple showcase stack for building interoperable and standards-based EHRs and PHRs, already in use for the Helm PHR.

• The NHS Spine team - with an open-access Spine test environment for learning to integrate with the basic NHS Spine services

We’re hoping to add more demos and hackshops here, and if you would like to run a hackshop then please PM me @pacharanero and we can arrange it.

[ We can’t guarantee you would be able to get around all the available hackshops - there might be limits on how many people can attend any given hackshop. It’ll be first come first served on the day, and a ‘teach-each-other’ ethos. Share the knowledge! :slight_smile: ]

Date: March 25th-26th 2019

Venues: Novotel London West (moving across to the main venue at Olympia for the hackday presentations)

Booking: https://digitalhealthrewired.com/rewired-hack-day/

Feel free to ask questions and discuss below.

1 Like

Any plans for outside London? London has a cost attached to it (it’s cheaper to get to Amsterdam than London :slight_smile: ).

I’ll see what I can do though.

1 Like

Wished we could be there… Please do let us know how the event goes.

1 Like

Yes, there will also be another Summer School Hack Day at the Digital Health Summer School, which this year is being held in Leeds.

1 Like

London

Ugh, don’t I know it. Managed to throw my return ticket in the bin at Green Park yesterday with my breakfast bag… that’s £164 I won’t see again :cry:

Right, I’ve just registered. Looking forward to attending.

Just BUMPing this announcement - and adding some more details

Registration is open to anyone, clinician, non-developer, health informatician, patient, etc

Rewired Hack Day - Digital Health Rewired is the signup link

We’re going to run a ‘normal’ hack day which will look something like this (exact details TBC and the schedule may well vary)

Day 1

• 0830 - 0915 Arrival, coffee and pitch sign-up
  • 0915 - 0930 Welcome and intro to Hack Days
  • 0930 - 1030 Pitches
  • 1030 - 1100 Coffee and form into teams
  • 1100 - 1300 Working on projects
  • 1300 - 1330 Working lunch
  • 1330 - 1700 Further working on projects

Day 2

• 0900 - 0915 Arrival & pep talk / schedule announcements
  • 0915 - 1300 Working on projects
  • 1300 - 1330 Working lunch
  • 1330 - 1500 Finalising projects, creating presentations, signup for presentations
  • 1500 - 1600 Project Presentations at the main REWIRED event in front of CCIOs, CIOs, very senior NHS Digital and NHS England people,
  • 1600 - 1630 Live community vote using Sli.do
  • 1630 - 1700 Winners announced & close

(Not an official response but expect it to be present at the hackathon)

The CareConnect API - a proposed standard API for accessing clinical data in systems across the NHS (less GP - see GP Connect earlier)

This is available in dockerised form which provides a EPR and document database, all accessible via the REST API. So if you want to just concentrate on user interface and use a standard method for accessing data (from a 3rd party EPR or an off the shelf FHIR server), the updated instructions are here: CCRI | Installation instructions | Care Connect

Some of the hacks done at the last INTEROPen (using CareConnect + GP Connect) are described here: Care Connect FHIR – Medium

1 Like

Sounds great Kev. Would you fancy doing a Hackshop on CareConnect?

M

Can’t make that call but we did hackshops at the NHS Connectathon a year ago. We had an area dedicated to CareConnect where people could come and ask question and also put on a couple of presentations - it was very popular.

Hi there, I’m a developer and have just registered for the Rewired Hack Day event. I worked on the Spine 2 project up until just after it went live but since then I’ve been out of the health IT space working in other areas. Am I right in thinking that I can rock up to the Hack Day and join in with a team without bringing along a pitch?

Yep, you would be fine to come along and join a team.